I know this blog is beginning to resemble a refuge for nostalgic old fogeys, but I don’t care as long as I have fun and not too many people crib !
This post is a retrospective of ridiculous tapori songs that were popular when most of us were in college or had just started working; most of these songs had either Salman Khan or Govinda as the male lead and Karishma Kapoor or Raveena Tandon as the female lead; they were also noteworthy for a marked lack of melody and an overabundance of random dance steps (often bordering on the vulgar, esp song no.9 and 27 ).
1. Tan-tana-tan-tan-tan-taaraa, chalti hai kya nau se baaraah ? shaam ke show ki do ticktein hain, khol ke purse batlaaoon; samajh na mujhko aisa-waisa, mere batue mein hai paisa………
One of the nicest tapori songs, never fails to make me laugh, it’s just too funny.
2. Jungle hai aadhi raat hai, lagne laga hai dar………………………….darne waali kya baat hai, jab saath mein ho dilbar, aajaa meri baahon mein, soja rakhke sar
More a cute song than a tapori one, included it because it starred the King and Queen of taporigiri, Salman and Karisma
3. Neeche paan ki dukan, oopar gori ka makaan
Does this sound familiar to someone on the blog ?
I thought this was a part of a Salman Khan song, but one of my colleagues just informed me that this is part of an old Shashi Kapoor song
4. Maine paidal se jaa raha tha, tune saikal (cycle) se jaa rahi thi, kiya tring tring ka ishaaraa, mujhe badnaam kiya re
A song that my brother loved, for the way it murdered grammar and the way the hero cribbed about the heroine ruining his reputation (quite an unbelievable role reversal that – could anyone ruin Govinda’s reputation ?)
5. Tu mera, tu mera, tu mera, tu mera, tu mera Hero no. 1
I remember the camera focussing on Karisma’s shapely rear end as it swayed like a pendulum in time to the music
6. Ladki kamaal ki yeh akhiyon se goli mare
Hilarious number – totally arbit dance steps; Govinda and Raveena
7. Gore gore mukhde pe kaalaa kaalaa chashma, tauba khuda khair kare, khoob hai karishma
And the song starred Raveena if I remember correctly
8. Tu cheez badi hai mast mast
Hate this song. It sounds awful, and is quite cheap. And at the time it was released (’94), they played it over and over again in the gym where i used to exercise and i associate it with sweat and aching muscles. Other songs I hate because they are irritating and I associate them with the gym are the songs from 'Murder' and hence they shall not be given the status of a separate entry on this list
9. A – aa – eee, u – ooo – o
The most vulgar song possible. With Govinda and Shakti Kapoor
10. Lae gayi, lae gayi, lae gayi, lae gayi, mera dil lai gayi, dekho meri chhamiya mera dil le gayi
Salman and Karishma again
11. Ladki dekhi – moonh se seeti baji haath se taali, ailaa ailaa fuma aiga pori aali aali
(unusual for being picturised on Saif Ali Khan and Akshay Kumar and not on the usual suspects)
12. oye makhna
from ‘Bade Miya, Chhotte Miya’ – a totally awful song that wasted the awesome Madhuri Dixit and Amitabh Bachhan too
13. eek do teen ...
Madhuri in ‘Tezaab’ – the first lady to really shake her booty. Remember this song being a huge hit and lots of people calling it really cheap, yet when I compare it to some of the current songs I wonder what the fuss was about !
14. and the previous song reminded me of….
‘Dil dhak dhak karne laga’
Madhuri again in a song which was described by one of my friends as ‘the one where Madhuri forgets she has arms and uses other appendages to move while dancing’
15. and while on those appendages, who can forget ‘Choli ke peechhe kya hai’ ?
A song n dance number replete with double entendres, Ila Arun’s voice, Neena Gupta, Madhuri Dixit and a lecherous Sanjay Dutt; a well choreographed colourful number from “Khalnayak’
16. And then there is Sushmita dancing to ‘Chunari Chunari’, a foot-tapping, energetic number that always makes me want to get up and dance; the song also appeared in the movie ‘Monsoon Wedding’
17. Aati kya khandala
Though picturised on a tapori (Aamir Khan), the song was actually more cute than tapori
18. Aaee shivani...
Sanjay Dutt and Urmila Matondkar
19. Apun bola tu meri laila..
Ash and Shah Rukh – another more-cute-than-tapori song; a petulant Shahrukh complaining to his sister Aishwarya about his failure to win over his ladylove
20. Main to raste se jaa raha tha………..tujhe mirchi lagi tho main kya karoon
Govinda and Karishma dancing to a song that almost became an anthem for some time
21. Ishq hai diwana roop ka khazana aaj hai lootana
The Badshah of Taporiness Govinda and his able consort Karishma. Can’t stand this song, isn’t this the one where she is in a hideous golden outfit with a weird hairdo – in her pre-Manish Malhotra make-over phase
22. Main aaye hoon UP Bihar lootne
Shilpa Shetty ??
23. Kya ada kya jalwe tere paro, dil ke tukde ho gaye huzaaron; jaayegi ab jaan bhi meri, aankh naa maaro
Sunil Shetty and Anjali Jathar, good fun song
I remember all of us in our hostel randomly irritating all our friends called Paro - every Priyanka, Paromita etc
24. Chamma Chamma baaje re meri painjaniya
Urmila Matondkar and many lecherous old men
25. Shehar ki ladki.....
Raveena and Sunil Shetty....this is one of my fave songs.. Ravs looks like a million bucks in this song (p.s. The comment on Raveena’s looks is not by me – Zen)
26. Koi tujhse acchi milegi nahin, koi tujhse kum bhi chalegi nahin, aa meri life banaade, aa meri life banaade
Hilarious song, picturised on Raveena and Salman
27. Sarkailiyo khatiya jaada lage...
One of the songs that started off the totally tapori trend. Starred Govinda and Karishma, was totally vulgar
28. Meri pant bhi sexy, meri shirt bhi sexy……………..yeh rumaal bhi sexy hai
Quite a cute song starring Karishma, the word ‘sexy’ created quite a furore back then
29. Gore gore mukhde pe kaalaa kaalaa chashma
Nagma and Govinda - and Govinda with a beard if I remember right
30. Mujh se shaadi karogi....
Salman, Priyanka and Akshay
31. Dekha jo tujhe yaar man mein baji guitar...
Koena Mitra and Ritesh Deshkmukh
32. Bidi jalayle jigar se piya
Bips, Saif and Vivek; awesome song, very catchy, great lyrics by Gulzar – however does he manage to be so classy And so tapori !
Aishwarya, Abhishek and Amitabh – everyone knows this song
(p.s. Let me make it clear that I know all these songs because I watch a lot of MTV and Channel V – not because I actually watch Salman and Govinda movies. I don’t, honest. - Zen)
Before I end this post, let me mention that most of the information here has been reproduced from memory – so please feel free to add a comment if you wish to add more info or songs to the list, or to correct lyrics etc.
Also how about voting for the favourite tapori song. My vote goes to ‘koi tujhse acchhi milegi nahin’
with help from
Sachin & Co.